Sunday, October 9, 2011

There's Nothing Like An Original...

Since I published my first novella two months ago, I have been constantly making the book promotion rounds on the internet and I am amazed at the love that I see for paranormal romance novels. Maybe it's the result of the awe-inspiring popularity of Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" series or the seemingly endless lust for everything vampire that has taken over modern civilization. Either way, it's an amazing phenomenon that no one can or even wants to ignore.

I am reminded, though, that the idea of a torrid love affair with the human undead is not a concept that should be new to any of us. In fact, it is an idea that has been around for decades in movies, books, and in oral fiction well before Edward or Bella were even a twinkle in their parents' eyes. I blame this current resurgence on the youth and their need for some good old-fashioned romance in the midst of all the "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" debauchery of mainstream media.

The book that introduced me to amorous ghosts was an AMAZING book titled "The Hand I Fan With" by Tina McElroy Ansa. I read it in 1996, a decade and a half before this current wave of spirit infatuation. I fell in love with the books' heroine and, inevitably, I fell in love with her ghostly suitor. The book was both lyrically poetic and classically romantic, while maintaining the action and rhythm of an excellent fiction manuscript. If you have not read "The Hand I Fan With", you have missed out on a Classic Paranormal Romance novel and I suggest you remedy that by buying a copy today. It's priced steep in comparison to today's ebook prices, but it is worth EVERY PENNY.





No comments:

Post a Comment